Slide Show

How to Apply for your Child Development Permit

California offers six levels of Child Development Permits, each with its own set of issuance requirements and each authorizing the holder to perform different levels of service in child development programs. The State Permits are issued by the California Department of Education, The same agency that issues Teaching Credentials for Public School Teaching. Permits are required if you work for a school that is funded by the Department of Education or Head Start. 

The permit is useful even if not working in a state or federally funded program. To gain employment in non-state or federally funded programs you will need proof of completed coursework. Typically this is verified through transcripts, but many employers will use the State Permit as verification of course work completion.

Saddleback College is an Approved “Fast-Tracked” Processing Program. Students and alumni who have process their permits through the child development faculty receive their permits in about 8 weeks compared to the typical 4-6 months for standard processing.

Step By Step Instructions to obtain your Child Development Permit

Step 1: Obtain official transcripts from all colleges you have attended

Step 3: Complete the CDTC Application which will pay for your permit and reimburse your fingerprint costs for eligible permit levels (see below).

  • The Child Development Training Consortium will pay the Permit and Fingerprint Processing fees (if applicable) for the following Child Development Permit levels including Permits with a School-Age Emphasis.
    • Assistant (first-time and renewal)
    • Associate Teacher (first-time, upgrade and renewal)
    • Teacher (first-time, upgrade and renewal)
    • Upgrades from three lower levels to Master Teacher, Site Supervisor or Program Director

    Please note that funding is limited. Permits will be processed according to the following priorities on a first-come, first-serve basis:
    • Initial (first-time) permits starting with the lowest level permit
    • Permit renewals starting with the lowest level permit
    • Permit upgrades starting with the lowest level eligible permit
  • Renewals Funding is also available for online renewal CDTC will reimburse $55 of the $57 renewal fee for Teacher Permit only (you will need to pay the fees by MasterCard or Visa debit or credit card). Follow the instructions on Insert #3-b in the CDTC Application for Child Development Permit Funding (linked below) on how to apply for the renewal online and to be reimbursed the $55.00.

Step 4: Meet with Child Development Faculty member for processing -(can be done via mail and/or email).

  • Once all of your required forms are completed contact one of the Child Development Faculty For Fast-Tracked Permit Processing and Letter of Verification to use while waiting for your actual permit is being finalized by the Commission on Teacher Credentialing.

    Barbara Tamialis
    June Millovich
    Christina Smith
    Step 5: View and Print your Permit Online
    The Commission on Teacher Credentialing (Commission) will only provide credentials, certificates, and permits through an online view and print process. The Commission will no longer print and mail these documents; they will be available online to colleges, universities, employers and the document holder within 48 hours of issuance. At that time, a document may be printed from the Commission's website.

    Check on your Permit Status Here

    Search for anyone’s list of permits and credentials Here


Contact any of the Child Development Faculty


South Orange County CC District | Campus Police & Emergency Information | FAQ | Maps & Directions | Irvine Valley College | ATEP Classes
Disabled Students Accredited by the Accrediting Commission of Community and Junior Colleges, of the Western Association of Schools and Colleges
Saddleback College is located at 28000 Marguerite Parkway, Mission Viejo, California 92692 • (949) 582-4500
Official Web Site of Saddleback College. Copyright © 2014, All Rights Reserved.
Disclaimer: This site may contain links to web sites not administered by Saddleback College or one of its divisions, departments,
units or programs. Saddleback College is not responsible or liable for the accuracy or the content of the linked pages.