Child Development Permit

How to Apply for your Child Development Permit

California offers six levels of Child Development Permits, each with its own set of issuance requirements and each authorizing the holder to perform different levels of service in child development programs. The State Permits are issued by the California Department of Education, The same agency that issues Teaching Credentials for Public School Teaching. Permits are required if you work for a school that is funded by the Department of Education or Head Start.

The permit is useful even if not working in a state or federally funded program. To gain employment in non-state or federally funded programs you will need proof of completed coursework. Typically this is verified through transcripts, but many employers will use the State Permit as verification of course work completion.

Saddleback College is an Approved “Fast-Tracked” Processing Program. Students and alumni who have process their permits through the child development faculty receive their permits in about 8 weeks compared to the typical 4-6 months for standard processing.

Step By Step Instructions to obtain your Child Development Permit

Step 1: Obtain official transcripts from all colleges you have attended

Typically this is done by contacting the Admissions and Records office where you took the classes. Many have online ordering.

Use the information from your transcripts to determine what level of Child Development Permit Matrix you are qualified to apply for. There are two pathways to qualify for a Permit: Option 1 or Alternative Qualifications.

Child Development Permit Matrix Pathways and Saddleback Courses Highlighted

Child Development Permit Matrix

Students who completed approved High School ROP programs can request to have their ROP credit applied to Saddleback College Child Development Course Requirements. Successful completion of ROP courses can qualify students for the Assistant Teacher level of the Child Development Permit.

CTE Transitions Credit Petition Form

Students who have received degrees outside of the United States can have their coursework and degrees evaluated for equivalency using the agencies approved by the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing

Foreign Transcript Evaluation Agencies

Step 2: Complete the 41-4 and 41-LS from the Commission on Teacher Credentialing

41-4 Application for Credential Authorizing Public School Service

41-LS Request for LiveScan Service

LiveScan Locations

Fingerprint Clearance Information

Time to Renew?

Online Renewal Permits offered by the Commission on Teacher Credentialing include Teacher, Master Teacher, Site Supervisor and/or Program Director permits.

Assistant and Associate Teacher Permit holders are NOT eligible to renew their permit online. These permit holders will need to mail their application to renew six months in advance of their permit expiring.

41-REN Application for Renewal

Step 3: Complete the CDTC Application

Which will pay for your permit and reimburse your fingerprint costs for eligible permit levels (see below).

The Child Development Training Consortium will pay the Permit and Fingerprint Processing fees (if applicable) for the following Child Development Permit levels including Permits with a School-Age Emphasis.

Assistant (first-time and renewal)

Associate Teacher (first-time, upgrade and renewal)

Teacher (first-time, upgrade and renewal)

Upgrades from three lower levels to Master Teacher, Site Supervisor or Program Director

Please note that funding is limited. Permits will be processed according to the following priorities on a first-come, first-serve basis:

Initial (first-time) permits starting with the lowest level permit

Permit renewals starting with the lowest level permit

Permit upgrades starting with the lowest level eligible permit

Renewals Funding is also available for online renewal CDTC will reimburse $55 of the $57 renewal fee for Teacher Permit only (you will need to pay the fees by MasterCard or Visa debit or credit card). Follow the instructions on Insert #3-b in the CDTC Application for Child Development Permit Funding (linked below) on how to apply for the renewal online and to be reimbursed the $55.00.

The permit funding is provided through the CA Department of Education Early Education and Support Services Division  


Child Development Training Consortium website instructions   (click on apply for permit in the right column)

For Renewals of Assistant and Associate Teacher Permits

CDTC Renewal form for Assistant or Associate Teacher level permits

For reimbursement of renewal fees for Teacher Permit,

Renewal process is online at

CDTC Application for reimbursement of online renewal fees

For upgrades from one level to the next use this application:

CDTC Application for Permit upgrade

Step 4: Meet with Child Development Faculty

Once all of your required forms are completed contact one of the Child Development Faculty For Fast-Tracked Permit Processing and Letter of Verification to use while waiting for your actual permit is being finalized by the Commission on Teacher Credentialing.

Barbara Tamialis
June Millovich
Christina Smith

Step 5: View and Print your Permit Online

The Commission on Teacher Credentialing (Commission) will only provide credentials, certificates, and permits through an online view and print process. The Commission will no longer print and mail these documents; they will be available online to colleges, universities, employers and the document holder within 48 hours of issuance. At that time, a document may be printed from the Commission's website. To check on your permit status, click on the link below and create a (free) educator profile with a login.

Check on your Permit Status

Search for anyone’s list of permits and credentials


Contact any of the Child Development Faculty