An Accounting career historically has been a very linear and strongly defined pathway from a BS in Business to Staff to Senior to Manager to (hopefully Partner) at an Accounting firm, CPA after a few years, maybe graduate school later.
I did not follow a linear path and took my first Accounting class at the age of 36 here at Saddleback and taught my first Saddleback Accounting class in Fall 2014.
Circuitous Route to Business Teaching Career in order
- BA Sociology/Philosophy, Morehead State University
- PhD Research Fellowship, Indiana University
- Acceptance to the Medical Sociology graduate program at Yale University
- Started, operated, sold a Business with 200+ employees and sub-contractors, Associated Property Services
- Masters in Tax (MST), Golden Gate University (rated #1 MST program in the US)
- Sole Practitioner in Tax & Financial Planning Firm, Whitson Ltd.
- Revenue Agent, Internal Revenue Service
- Tax Senior in Law Firm, Tax Consulting Group, LLP
- PFP designation, Personal Financial Planning program, University of CA, Irvine
- Portfolio Analyst, Financial Planning firm, Tarbox Equity
- Corporate Tax Analyst, Commerce Clearing House
- MS Business, Capella University (a degree mill but is accredited)
- Litigant in long running/large risk/high exposure business law case that was successfully settled for a high six figure payout
- Principal in Tax and Financial Planning Firm, Experius Financial LLC
Community College Experience
- Chair/Professor, Accounting Department, Coastline CC
- Teach Accounting, Finance, and Tax in retired status at Saddleback College
- Wrote, Developed,Taught 14 new online, onsite, or hybrid Business and Accounting courses
- Developed Tax Specialist Program at GWC
- Co-Developed Financial Planning Program at Coastline CC
- Co-Chair of the CA Community College Business Education Statewide Advisory Committee
- Member of Academic Senate, Curriculum Committee, Student Success Committee, Online Tech Committee
- Awarded numerous grants, in 3 research grants paid students to assist in research presenting findings at statewide and nationwide conferences
- Designated DSN (Director) for Small Business Education in Orange County in $1.2 million grant proposal
- Have taught 20 different courses. Primarily taught Financial Accounting, Managerial Accounting, Individual Taxation, Issues in Taxation I/EA & CPA Exam Prep, Personal Financial Planning, Issues in Taxation II/EA & CPA Exam Prep, Computerized Accounting, Business Taxation, Investments, Retirement and Benefit Planning, & Computerized Tax Preparation.