The Audio Visual Department began the installation of SYMPODIUM INTERACTIVE PEN DISPLAYS, by Smart Technologies in classrooms across the campus during the Fall of 2008, adding an additional 20 units this Spring. These are essentially Smart Boards that you might be used to seeing hanging from a classroom wall, but instead they replace the standard computer monitor and offer all the same functionality that a Smart Board does, as it utilizes the same software.
There are several advantages of the Interactive Pen Display over the wall-mounted screen…
- The units can be installed in a classroom in 20 minutes. No need for an additional projector, wiring and associated maintenance issues.
- Projects a full image through the existing projector as opposed to the limited size of a wall-hung panel.
- No ADA issues, as the panel can be accessed at the desk.
The software that you use on this pen display can be downloaded on your home or office computer so that you can work on your lesson plan before getting to the classroom. Check out the Notebook 10 Software and see the many things you can do with your lesson plan.
If you are interested in downloading the software, click here for instructions. Follow the directions and enter 7KFP00148 for the serial number and Education for the organization.
The Interactive Pen Displays are currently installed in the following rooms with more to follow!
- BGS 232, 233, 234, 235, 244, 245, 250, 252, 253, 254, 255
- MSE 102, 104, 202, 203, 208, 242, 244, 246
- PE 304
- SSC 166, 255A
- TAS 124, 126
- FA 207, 210
- HS 102, 103, 104, 105, 112, 128, 134, 138, 141, 206-A, 206-B, 207, 208
The traditional wall mounted SmartBoards are located in the following classrooms:
- MSE 101
- HS 207, 208
If you have any questions, please contact:
Director of Technology Services