Online Student Mentor Program
Are you looking for a job and an opportunity to help other students? Have you taken an online class before? You might be interested in applying for an Online Student Mentor position in the LRC Tutoring Center! Faculty members teaching online spend a considerable amount of time assisting students with the routines, procedures, and expectations of an online course. Though time-consuming, this support is often critical to their students’ success. To address these needs in the online classroom, we introduced the Online Student Mentor Program.
You are cordially invited to apply for a position as an Online Student Mentor in the Spring of 2021. Online Student Mentors will be assigned 3 online courses and spend 1-2 hours per week on the following tasks:
- Emailing enrolled students throughout the semester
- Sharing personal experience in online courses with students
- Posting reminders for upcoming assignments, tests, and important dates
- Encouraging students to ask questions and to stay in contact
- Assisting students with simple Canvas issues (eg, where to log in, how to find assignments).
- Holding weekly “mentor hours” for phone and Zoom appointments
- Providing information on discussion board posting frequency and length
- Offering a list of “Success in the Online Classroom” tips and available resources
Online Student Mentors WILL NOT:
- Assist students with technical questions (eg, determining login information)
- Discuss discipline specific content
- Create exercises or lessons for students
- Give advice on discussion board posting content
- Complete work on behalf of the student or provide answers to tests quizzes
- Provide personal email or cell phone information
- Meet with the student(s) outside of the Center
According to a study that looked at 2,880 survey responses, online students who had mentors were about twice as likely to pass a course than those who did not!
Interested students should have the following minimum qualifications:
Must have successfully completed at least one online course at Saddleback College.
If you are interested in this exciting opportunity, please complete this form. Qualified applicants will be invited to interview in late November/early December. A mandatory training will take place on Friday, January 15 (time TBD).
Please fill out this form if you feel you are both qualified and interested. You may contact Faculty Tutorial Specialist, Lindsay Donaldson, at email@example.com or call 949-582-4519 for more information. We are excited about this opportunity to support our online students.