Fall 2014 – Math and Science Learning Communities (SI)
This project is designed to promote collaborative learning among faculty, peer tutors, and students in an effort to improve student success in at-risk Math and Science courses. In Fall 2014, faculty involved in this project will recruit one student to work in the classroom and serve as a peer tutor for their students in targeted courses.
Expectation of Faculty
Each faculty member will be expected to:
1. Recruit ONE (1) student to work in his/her classroom and to serve as a tutor for his/her students.
2. Mentor, train, and evaluate this tutor throughout the semester.
3. Establish scheduled days/times for course tutoring: drop-in (one-on-one), study groups, and/or exam review sessions.
4. Encourage students in his/her class(es) to participate in this tutoring opportunity.
Expectation of Tutor
Each tutor will be expected to:
1. Spend up to two hours each week in the classroom of the faculty member.
2. Work directly with the faculty member on his/her learning expectations and outcomes for the students.
3. Spend from 4 to 8 hours per week on tutoring students under the guidance of the faculty member.
1. Location: Tutoring will occur in the LRC Tutoring Center in order to collect apportionment for this project in accordance with Title V Regulations.
2. Documentation and Data: Tracking of tutor hours, student hours, and student retention and success will be an integral part of this project.
Due to limited funding, priority will be given to faculty or a team of faculty who will be serving multiple sections of the same class.
1. Faculty can use this project as part of his/her college service hours/office hours.
2. Tutors will be paid $12.00 per hour.
Faculty Request ONLY - Getting Involved
As faculty members, if you are interested in participating in this program, please complete the information below and submit it to Patti Flanigan directly at email@example.com. Math and Science tutoring in the LRC will start on August 25th to December 19th.
Name(s) of Faculty/Team of Faculty
|Name of Tutor||
Work Status of Tutor
Math Faculty and Tutors
|Sumaya McCleave||Math 3A||Leela Safavi||Hired|
|Karla Westphal and Frank Gonzalez||March 3C||Anahita Sarvi||Hired|
|Jason Hole||Math 3A||Somayeh Ranjbar||Hired|
|Kia Shafe||Math 253
|Hired - 10 hours total|
|Pat Schubert||Math 124||Alex Trujillo||Hired|
|Deanna Valdez||Math 3A||TBD|
|Lisa Silveira||Math 3A||Sali Gharavi||Hired|
Science Faculty and Tutors
|Katherine Meyer-Canales||PH 4A||Diego Bravo||Hired|
|Monica Friedrich||Bio 15/ Microbiology||Donna Sabet||Hired|
|Sam Abbas||Chem 3||Poupak Fakhrai||Not Hired Yet|
|Scott Fier||Chem 1A||Nathan Sharifrazi||Hired|
|Christina White||Chem 1A||Adam Fagan||Hired|
|Teresa Bear||Chem 1B||Leandra Jackson||Hired|
|Steve Teh||Bio 3 A||Seyed Mirgati||Hired|
|Karah Street/Marcelo Pires||Bio 12||Grace Yim||Hired|