Frequently Asked Questions

 Do I need to do anything else to get paid after I have completed the paperwork at the college Veterans Office?

Answer:  For all chapters, you must notify the college Veterans Office each semester you wish your education benefits to be continued. If you are using your education benefit, you also must notify the college Veterans Office if you add/drop a class, or withdraw from college. In addition, for Chapters 30 and 1606, you must verify your enrollment with the VA via WAVE every month.

Can I get paid by the VA for taking courses at another school at the same time I am taking courses at Saddleback College?

Answer:  Yes, if the courses are equivalent to courses needed for your education goal. Contact the college Veterans Office for details and reporting requirements.

How much money will I receive from my VA education benefits?

       Answer:  For payment rates, click on the applicable link. 

          For the Post-9/11 GI Bill® (Chapter 33), Montgomery GI Bill - Active Duty (MGIB-AD/Chapter 30),                  Montgomery GI Bill® - Selected Reserve (MGIB-SR/Chapter 1606), Reserve Educational Assistance                  Program (REAP/Chapter 1607), and Survivors' and Dependents' Educational Assistance Program                         (DEA/Chapter 35), please click here (link is external).

          For Vocational Rehabilitation & Employment Service (Chapter 31), please click here (link is external).

Can my VA education benefit payments be suspended for any reason?

Answer:  Yes. If you are placed on academic/progress probation for 2 complete semesters, your VA education benefits will be suspended.

How do I get another DD214 if I lost mine?

Answer:  For information on replacing a DD 214, please visit VA's EBenefits homepage or click here (link is external), log in or create an account, and then follow the instructions under "Military Personnel File."

Can I get college credit for my military service?

Answer:  Up to six units of credit can be awarded by this college for electives only. If after satisfying all required coursework for your major, both general education and major courses, and you still do not meet the minimum sixty units required for a degree, up to six elective units can be used to make up the difference. These units cannot be used in lieu of required courses.

Can courses I completed in the military count as college credit?

Answer:  Once you have completed 12 units at Saddleback College, the Admissions and Records Office will evaluate any military coursework on your SMART transcript for possible college credit (you will need to provide the SMART transcript)

How can I get questions answered for my specific situation?

Answer:  The college Veterans Office is open from 8 a.m. to 6:15 p.m. Monday through Thursday, and from 8 a.m. to 4:45 p.m. on Friday.  No appointment is necessary. Come in, or call us at (949) 582-4870.