The Paramedic program at Saddleback College is designed to prepare the student for licensure as a paramedic. It is an intense, full-time program consisting of lecture, skills lab, clinical practice, and field internship. The paramedic program can be completed in approximately 6.5 months.
Paramedic Program Requirements
Admission to the paramedic program requires a combination of Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) certification and previous emergency response experience. Therefore, it is necessary to obtain coursework and experience prior to applying to the program.
- Applicants will need a Saddleback College student ID number and email in order to apply. https://www.saddleback.edu/admissions/Apply-Saddleback-College
- High school diploma or equivalency.
- Current California EMT license.
- Current basic life support (CPR) card. This card must be an American Heart Association "Healthcare Provider". No Substitutions. This card must be valid throughout the duration of the class.
- Minimum one year of full-time verified work experience as an EMT on an emergency response vehicle, such as a fire engine or private ambulance. This requirement is for both the one year and the hours which need to be equivalent to 160 per month over a 12 month period. Only signed and dated letters written on department/company letterhead will be considered as verification.
- A resume is not required but may be submitted with the application. Do not attach copies of certificates. If you wish to mention certificates, please include them in your resume.
- Recommendation letters are required, with a maximum of three. Unsigned letters will not be considered.
|Tuition (33.5 units at $46 per unit)||$1,541|
|Health Fees ($23 x 2 semesters)||$46|
|Parking Permit ($40 x 2 semesters)||$80|
|Background and Drug Screen||$87.75|
|Medical Document Management||$38|
|National Registry Profile||$150|
|NR Written Exam||$180|
|NR Practical Exam||$180|
|Total Estimated Cost||$3,864.75|
Students may be eligible for financial aid. If interested in applying, please visit Saddleback College's Student Financial Assistance & Scholarship Office https://www.saddleback.edu/fao
|HSC 104 - Medical Terminology||3|
|HSC 217 - Cardiac Dysrhythmias||2|
|EMT 219 - Paramedic Preparation||4|
|HSC 108 - Disease Processes for the Health Sciences||3|
|Future Classes||Application Period||Program Start Date|
|Class 87||September 21 - October 21, 2022||January 17, 2023|
Class 87 applicants will be notified of interview status the week of November 14, 2022 through their Submittable account.
Those invited into the program must be in adequate health to perform the duties of a paramedic. Students will be required to obtain the following titers/immunizations/vaccines within 2 months of admission and should get started on these right away.
- Hepatitis B
- TB skin test
- COVID-19 vaccine/booster
- Seasonal flu shot (when available)
More details regarding required physical/immunizations/titers can be found in the Mandatory Health Assessment Packet.
Students will need to provide evidence of vaccination status for clinical placement.
Failure to complete any of the Paramedic program requirements/deadlines, provided to students, will result in students signing a Non-Compliance Form. Depending on the situation, students may or may not be eligible to continue in the program.
Additional Program Requirements
- Students will be required to complete a background/drug test.
- Obtain professional liability insurance.
- Have valid BLS card through the American Heart Association (no other providers).
- Show proof of personal medical health insurance.
Paramedic courses are reserved only for students accepted into the program. Students will not be cleared to register until all of the above requirements have been met.
Paramedic Program Accreditation
The Saddleback Paramedic Program is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs upon the recommendation of the Committee on Accreditation of Educational Programs for the Emergency Medical Services Professions (CoAEMSP).
To contact CAAHEP:
Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs
1361 Park Street
Clearwater, FL. 33756
To contact CoAEMSP:
8301 Lakeview Parkway, Suite 111-312
Rowlett, TX 75088
FAX (214) 703-8992
Paramedic Program Statistics
2020 - 82.6%
2019 - 90%
2018 - 100%
2017 - 92%
2020 - 82.1%
2019 - 90%
2018 - 92%
2017 - 96%
2020 – Within 3 attempts 86.4%
2019 – 1st attempt 83%, within 3 attempts 98%, within 6 attempts 100%
2018 – 1st attempt 70%, within 3 attempts 96%, within 6 attempts 100%
2017 – 1st attempt 74%, within 3 attempts 98%, within 6 attempts 98%