California Training Benefits (CTB) allows you to further your education, upgrade your skills, or learn a new trade by attending an Employment Development Department (EDD) approved school or training program while you receive Unemployment Insurance (UI) benefits.

Eligible Training Types: Of the following eligible training types for CTB, Saddleback College can support WIOA, EPTL, and CalWORKs.

Eligible CTB participants can:

  • Continue collecting UI benefits while attending school.
  • Enhance existing knowledge and skills.
  • Develop new skills for an exciting career path.
  • Potentially receive additional weeks of UI benefits if approved for a Training Extension, or TE (extensions are not automatically approved).

If approved for CTB, you will be exempt from the weekly UI eligibility requirements. Weekly requirements include being available for work, actively looking for work, and accepting work, while you attend an EDD approved school or training program.

To be considered for a Training Extension (TE), you must contact the EDD before you receive your 16th week of UI benefit payments. If the maximum award of your claim is less than 16 weeks, you must contact Unemployment Insurance (UI) before your claim reaches a zero balance. Ultimately, the US Senate approves extensions to UI benefits. There is no guarantee of an extension of unemployment benefits lasting to the completion of your program.

NOTE: At this time, we do not process ITA vouchers. However, there are state, federal, and employer assistance programs that may fund your schooling or training. To learn more about the available types of federal financial aid programs, or if you have additional questions about financial aid please contact our Financial Aid Office at (949) 582-4860.

Single or two-parent households who receive cash aid for themselves as well as their dependent children (CalWORKs/TANF) & who have a Welfare to Work (WtW) Plan may be eligible for the CalWORKs program at Saddleback College.

Here are some additional resources, forms, and publications that may help:

Information derived from the State of California’s website.