Federal Work-Study (FWS) is a federally funded aid program that provides on-campus work positions to qualifying Saddleback College students. Students must meet the financial aid requirement to qualify for a position. To apply, students should complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

How do I apply for Federal Work-Study?

Complete the FAFSA online at studentaid.gov.

  • Mark YES to interested in Federal Work Study question
  • Once FAFSA is processed, contact Financial Aid Office to verify eligibility based on enrollment level, Satisfactory Academic Progress, etc.

Visit Saddleback Handshake, and start searching by typing "FWS" for a list of available positions (Saddleback College positions only).

  • To complete the hiring process, you will need the following:
    • Government issued photo ID 
    • Social Security Card - physical card is required, if you don't have one you can request a replacement at ssa.gov.

Federal Work Study Eligibility

  • Students must be enrolled in 6 or more units (half-time)
  • Maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress Standards
  • Have financial need

Quick Facts

  • Must meet financial need requirement by completing the FAFSA
  • Hours: up to 15 hours, per week
  • Pay rate: $17 per hour.
  • Students cannot begin working without authorization from the Financial Aid Office

Frequently Asked Questions

Yes, If you are receiving unemployment insurance benefits and are also employed in the FWS program, you must notify your local unemployment office that you are working in the FWS program. The California Employment Development Department (EDD) considers it willful misrepresentation to collect unemployment benefits without revealing that you are also receiving FWS.

Yes, FWS earnings are considered taxable income by both federal and state governments. However, FWS earnings are not counted as income in determining eligibility for financial aid.