Should a course require the use of the Canvas software, students will automatically be added within 24 hours of the registration date. The course(s) will become available by the date listed in the class schedule unless otherwise notified by the instructor. Students will be able to access their course(s) anytime during the day or night from any computer with an internet connection.
Important: A student should never use a mobile device as their only way to access a course. Canvas supports a limited set of features on mobile devices. Quizzes and exams should never be taken using a mobile device.
Frequently Asked Questions
If after reading through these topics you still need help, visit our Canvas help page for more information.
Canvas can be found on every Saddleback College page. It is located in the main menu of the page under the "Logins" menu.
Canvas URL: https://canvas.saddleback.edu
If you just enrolled in a class it may take up to 24 hrs. for your account to be created (including classes added with APC codes).
Login with your Username and Password.
Your username is assigned to you after you apply for admission. It is a combination of your first initial and last name followed by numbers. It is the first portion of your student email address prior to the @ symbol.
Please follow these directions to locate your username:
- Login to MySite using your Student ID number and PIN (4 digit number)
- Click on the Profile Icon (top right corner)
Your default password is assigned to you after you apply for admission. It is your PIN plus two zeros. Example: 5678+00 = 567800
This default password needs to be reset to a more secure letter number combination. See How do I reset/change my Password? below.
- Login to MySite with your student ID number and 4 digit PIN.
- Click on your profile icon.
- Click on the Change PIN/Password link.
- Click on Change Password.
- Click I Have Forgotten My Password.
- Enter your student email address and click on Proceed.
You will be given one or two options for sending you a verification code.
- Selecting mobile phone requires you to enter the last 4 digits of the mobile number listed. Then a verification code with be texted to that number.
- Selecting email will automatically send a verification code to the personal email listed on the account.
- Enter the verification code provided.
- Create a new password (Must be between 8 and 16 characters, a mix of letters and numbers, must contain one uppercase letter, and one special character.)
- Confirm your new password.
- Click the Change Password button.
Once you have successfully reset your password, you should be able to access all of your accounts which include Canvas, MySite, student email, wireless access, computers and printers/copiers on campus.
- Know how to access Canvas.
- Know how to login to Canvas.
- If you are new to Canvas or online classes view the Canvas tutorial videos.
- Do a browser and plugin check for Canvas.
- Check your Saddleback student email account for any notices from your instructor(s).
- Setup course notification options so you do not miss important due dates on assignments.
Please note that the availability of the class links are controlled by the instructor of the course. Generally, you will not see your course(s) listed in Canvas until the first day your class begins. If an instructor is giving access to the course link earlier than the first day of class they will contact their students and let them know when the link is available.
- Canvas supports the current and first previous major releases of the following browsers:
- Chrome 62 and 63
- Firefox 56 and 57 (Extended Releases are not supported)
- Flash 27 and 28 (used for recording or viewing audio/video and uploading files)
- Internet Explorer 11 and Edge 40 and 41 (Windows only—please make sure your operating system is also current as noted in the Canvas computer specifications lesson; you may need to download the Windows 10 Anniversary Update to submit Canvas assignments)
- Respondus Lockdown Browser (supporting the latest system requirements)
- Safari 10 and 11 (Macintosh only)
We highly recommend updating to the most current version of your preferred browser. Your browser will notify you if there is a new version available.
Some supported browsers may still produce a banner stating, "Your browser does not meet the minimum requirements for Canvas." If you have upgraded your browser but you are still seeing the warning banner, try logging out of Canvas and deleting your browser cookies.
If your browser does not update automatically, you can download your preferred browser in the browser's download page:
- Flash is required for recording audio and video in the Canvas Rich Content Editor. Other than these features, Flash is not required to use most areas of Canvas. Please note that some browsers may no longer support Flash.
- The Java plug-in is required for screen sharing in Conferences. Please note that some browsers do not support Java. Otherwise, there are no other browser plug-ins used by Canvas.
- Minimum computer requirements for online classes can found on Canvas's computer specifications page.
- Login to Canvas using your username and password.
- Global Navigation menu, click on Account.
- Then click on Notifications.
- Set your notification preferences.
- To receive a notification right away, click the check mark icon
- To receive daily notification, click the clock icon
- To receive weekly notification, click the calendar icon
- If you do not want to receive a notification, click the X icon
- NOTE: Each set notification preference will automatically apply to all of your courses.
If you just enrolled in a class it may take up to 24 hrs. for your account to be created (including classes added with APC codes). Your course(s) should be displayed on the Dashboard in Canvas. Courses will become available by the date listed in the class schedule unless otherwise notified by the instructor.
If you do not see your course on the Dashboard:
- Click on courses from the global navigation menu.
- Click on All Courses.
- Make sure that the courses you want displayed on your Dashboard have the star marked.
Click on the following link for a video on how to use TurnItIn in Canvas. https://vimeo.com/155202201