The Rising Scholars Program at Saddleback College supports students who have been negatively impacted by the U.S. judicial system. Through development of a support network that spans the Saddleback campus and beyond, the Rising Scholars program will assist formerly incarcerated and system impacted students in their educational, professional, and social goals.
Institutionally impacted students face societal hurdles with regard to these goals. The Rising Scholars network strives to help affected students overcome these impediments by providing asset-based support for the duration of their higher education. Examples of this support include:
- Expungement Services
- Support Groups
- Resume Building
- Formerly Incarcerated Alumni Speaker Panels
- On-campus Support Programs, such as financial aid, basic needs assistance, tutoring, etc.
- Student Advocacy
These benefits and services improve student retention and academic success.
Rising Scholars Program Eligibility Requirements
- Enrolled in classes at Saddleback College
- Identify as formerly incarcerated or system impacted*
* Includes: those who have been incarcerated, those with arrests or convictions but no incarceration, and those who have been directly impacted by an incarcerated family member.