Finish Faster with the CVC Exchange

Ready to transfer or graduate but the last course you need isn't available or is full? Explore hundreds of available online courses offered at multiple California Community Colleges. Enrolling is quick and easy.

What is the CVC Exchange?

The California Virtual Campus (CVC) Exchange allows students currently enrolled in a California Community College to instantly enroll in online courses offered at eligible Teaching colleges without filling out a separate application. 

  • Home College - College from which students enter the CVC Exchange to take courses through other colleges.
  • Teaching College - College that offers courses via the CVC Exchange to students from other participating colleges.

Students can be confident they can get the class they need thanks to real-time seat counts. Additionally, academic transcripts are automatically transferred between the two schools. Online courses through CVC Exchange are the same cost as a student's Home College. There are no additional costs to use this service.

Register and Enroll at the California Virtual Campus

Frequently Asked Questions

Students can search for courses at using a variety of criteria such as Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC) and CSU GE requirements; substitution courses for specific, oversubscribed home college courses; and courses that are part of specific programs or pathways. Further integration with programs and pathways will provide students with different ways to search for the classes they need.

Only students enrolled in at least one credit course at participating colleges are eligible to cross-enroll. Students must also meet the following requirements:

  • Have at least a 2.0 GPA or not yet established a GPA at the Home College
  • Have no outstanding fees at the Home College
  • No out-of-state address on file at Home College

All participating Teaching Colleges have signed a Federal Financial Aid agreement. As such CVC Exchange students simultaneously enrolled at both Home and Teaching College may be able to receive federal and state financial aid funds based on combined units taken at both colleges. Eligibility will be determined by the student’s Home College.

A student's Disabled Student Programs and Services (DSPS) status or accommodations determination will not automatically transfer to the Teaching College. Students using the Exchange will have to apply separately at both colleges to receive DSPS services and classroom accommodations.

Students using the CVC Exchange are subject to the payment policies of the college that is offering the class, i.e. the Teaching College. Since a college may have a drop for non-payment policy and deadline date; it is in a student’s best interest to pay for classes at the time of enrollment in order to secure a seat in the class. Even if a student initially chooses the credit card option to pay for classes, eligible students are still allowed and encouraged to apply for both the CCPG at the Teaching College and Federal Financial Aid at the Home College at time of payment. If approved for either or both CCPG and Federal Aid, students who may have used the credit card option will be appropriately reimbursed.

Pay with credit card: The option to pay with a credit card through the payment portal is the most immediate payment option available to Exchange students.

California Colleges Promise Grant (CCPG): Students who are eligible California residents, may apply for the California Colleges Promise Grant (CCPG) which can waive enrollment fees for qualified students for the entire school year.

Federal Financial Aid: If an Exchange student is qualified to receive Federal Financial Aid from their Home College, to help cover the cost of tuition and fees for classes being taken at the Teaching College; they may request Federal Financial Aid from their Home College.

Students wanting to use the Exchange must consent to have their transcripts automatically shared from the Teaching College to the Home College at the end of the term. The Exchange informed consent statement at the time of enrollment specifies that a student must consent to have their transcripts automatically shared with the Home College. This consent acts as the request for any classes taken through the Exchange to the home school. Students will need to separately request any transcripts be sent to any school that is not designated as their home school.

The California College Promise Grant (CCPG) and the California Promise Program are two separate programs. Additionally, the eligibility requirements between the two programs are very different. The California College Promise Grant (CCPG) is a fee waiver for ALL eligible students to assist with the enrollment fees ($46/semester unit). Students are expected to reapply every year to qualify for the CCPG. The CCPG can be used to pay for courses taken at the teaching college, but students will need to contact the teaching college’s financial aid office for more information. The Promise Program at many community colleges provides the opportunity for first-time students to attend college tuition-free, in addition to providing support services. Students taking classes in the Exchange will have to inquire with their Home College’s Promise Program if they would like to use Exchange classes to fulfill their Promise Program enrollment requirements.

Students are directed to the college's CCCApply page and should apply using the regular process.