A college course designed for Veterans making the transition from Boots to Books.
Counseling 40 - College and Career Success
Boots to Books
Tuesdays, 10:30 am - 11:45 am, Ticket #18520
Instructor: Kolin Williams, M.S.
Office: VETS Office, SSC 207
Office Hours: Call the VETS Center at (949) 582-4252 for current office hours or to schedule an appointment.
Designed to foster college and career success. College and university policies and campus resources are examined. Theories and strategies of college success are evaluated including time management, study skills, student health and wellness, diversity and global awareness, communication and critical thinking. Students will analyze career related assessments, research careers and majors, and develop comprehensive academic plans. In addition to the above, this course will specifically focus on the needs and challenges of Veterans, active duty military, and their dependents. Recommended for first time college students or any students undecided on a major or goal. (formerly, COUN 140)
- Orientation to Saddleback College and Post-Secondary education in general
- Policies and procedures
- Academic terminology and practices
- Vocational and career assessment
- Vocational and career information
- Sources of information
- Gathering and evaluation of career information
- Integrating personal attributes and career information
- Using the Internet
- Academic planning
- Educational information
- Occupation training programs
- Associate degree requirements
- Transfer requirements and procedures
- Academic skill assessment
- Setting educational goals
- Creating a personal educational plan
- Educational information
- Success in college
- Student Services
- Study skills
- Using technology
- Integrating the vocational, career, and academic planning
- Information to create a personal educational plan
Student Learning Outcomes
- Appraise personal skills, vocational interests and values, integrate these factors, and relate them to possible educational and career choices.
- Identify and utilize a variety of sources of occupational and career information.
- Identify and utilize a variety of sources of academic and educational information, and demonstrate mastery of educational terminology, procedures, and requirements.
- Appraise personal academic skills and study skills levels in relation to Saddleback College curriculum.
- Integrate personal attributes and educational information employing realistic decision-making strategies for personal academic goals.
- Describe the various student services available at Saddleback College and illustrate the value of the services to the college community.
- Develop and maintain a portfolio.